1. Know your own personal motivations and establish your goals and deal breakers.
2. Set expectations up front and stick with them.
-Once a transaction is underway it’s easy to lose sight of what originally motivated you. Look back at your goals and try to keep them relative to price
3. Discuss finances EARLY.
– Being pre-approved is crucial to be affective in our fast pace market. Understanding how your current assets may affect your eligibility is imperative which leads us to #4.
4. Recognizing Contingencies
– Understand how various contingencies affect a transaction.
-The more seamless and streamlined you’re able to make your offer the more competitive you’ll be.
– Making plans for your current residence is a crucial component to this.
5. Understand the Seller’s motivations and adjust your offer accordingly
6. Understand your own commitment level
– Ask yourself critical thinking questions like; “ How would I feel if I lost this house over $5,000.” OR “ At what price would I feel okay with losing this house?”
Broker | OR & WA
Ten years ago, Melissa was living in a slum in Kolkata, India, helping over 200 women escape sex trafficking by providing alternative work at a social business.
It was there she discovered her passion for financial education as a means of empowering people to move out of poverty. After graduating from UCLA with a Masters, Melissa spent 5 years working as a Social Worker; assisting clients facing homelessness, in jail, or at a psychiatric facility.
As much as she loved the work, imagining saving for retirement on the meager salary of a social worker was becoming grim. That's when Melissa discovered "passive income." In no time, she fell in LOVE with real estate as a vehicle for wealth. Soon after, Melissa began locating off-market multi-family properties to purchase through creative financing strategies and win-win opportunities. Two years into investing, Melissa quit her day job as a Social Worker to become a full-time broker and investor. Initially, she was drawn to people in difficult circumstances, so she developed extensive experience assisting families facing foreclosure, short sales, and probate. Melissa is well versed in helping her clients overcome complex real estate challenges.
Currently, Melissa is teamed up with Super Broker, Yascha Noonberg at Living Room Realty. Together they assist clients to achieve their real estate dreams, including how to strategically buy and sell a personal residence to maximize profits. Far from the slums of Kolkata, her greatest passion now is empowering other working professionals to develop passive forms of income through buying multi-family properties in Portland.